Montmarte walking tour
It's like going on a date with Paris itself!
Scenic views, gorgeous architecture and a friendly local guide can make you fall in love with an entire country.
Let this happen on our private Montmartre tour.
*The tour can be modified to meet your preferences.
- Place des Abbesses
- Sacre Coeur
- Epic panoramic views of Paris
- Place du Tertre
- Montmartre vineyards
- Cabaret Lapin Agile
- Montmartre windmills
- Moulin Rouge
- Café des deux Moulins
- Romantic tour in the most atmospheric district of Paris with your friendly local guide;
- Unimaginable views of Paris;
- Interesting stories about places and people of Montmartre;
- Go up to the highest point of French capital;
- Be dazzled with whiteness and beauty of Sacre-Coeur church;
- Feel the bohemian spirit of Montmartre;
- Have a drink at Café des deux Moulins from film “Amelie”;
- Wander through picturesque streets;
- See windmills of Montmartre including the Red Windmill of legendary cabaret;
- Visit the square with a highest concentration of artists.
Place des Abbesses
Walking in Montmartre is like going on a date with Paris itself. It’s too romantic, too artsy, too beautiful!
We begin our tour with a spectacular Place des Abbesses which is a great start of exploring Montmartre. This square is very cozy and is home to small cafes, boutiques and vintage shops. It is famous by the deepest metro station in Paris built in art-nouveau style. You will also see Saint-Jean-l'Evangeliste Church which is the first church in France made of reinforced concrete.
Near Place des Abbesses there is a very romantic place: I LOVE YOU WALL. 40 sq.m of this wall are covered with phrases “I love you” written in 311 languages! This place surely proves the status of Paris as the most romantic city.
While you’re philosophizing how romantic Paris is, you’ll suddenly find yourself up on highest point of Paris. You have a chance to enjoy incredible scenes of Montmartre: amazing streets, lovely cafes, lively courtyards and nice houses. What is waiting for you on the top? Of course, the fantastic Sacre-Coeur rising above the city. It’s impossible to imagine Paris landscape without this white pearl.
Combining Roman and Byzantine architectural styles and made of material which gets only whiter after rain, this church will impress you with its majesty.
360' panorama of Paris
Guess from where you can see whole Paris at the distance of 50 km? From Montmartre, surely! Being the highest point of Paris, Montmartre hill has a height of 130 meters. But… you can climb higher! The observation deck in Sacre Coeur church is considered the best in Paris. From here you can see everything. Imagine: 24 centuries of history, 105 km of territory, about 2 million inhabitants, the most famous attractions…
You are standing above one of the most beautiful cities in the world… and now this city is at your feet! Unforgettable moment! Savor it.
Place du Tertre
The heart of Montmartre. This square is often called “the square of artists” or “the square of hill”. It’s difficult to describe this charming place; you should feel its atmosphere. Being bohemian and very artistic. this square is always full of street artists. It looks like an open-air art studio! From the 19th century Place du Tertre has been considered the centre of art. Many talented artists like Picasso were living here and all Parisian bohemia was concentrated in this place.
Nowadays many artists come here for inspiration. No doubt this place is magical!
It is a known fact that France produces great wine. Everybody knows about such vine-making regions as Bordeaux or Bourgogne. But who expects to see vineyards in the center of Paris? Right on Montmartre hill a territory of 1560 sq.m is occupied by vineyards. 27 sorts of grapes are grown here and give about 500 liters of wine every year. Of course, this wine doesn’t claim to be the best, still it is unique enough to be born in Montmartre.
The elements of contemporary city and natural landscapes successfully combine here. It’s a real pleasure to see such scenes!
Cabaret Lapin Agile
Walking along Saint Vincent street, you will notice a funny house painted in pink and green colors with a poster of rabbit. This place is a famous cabaret Lapin Agile. Very atmospheric, “very French” and “very Parisian”. Cabaret Lapin Agile has a rich history. It was a favourite place of Picasso, Renoir, Modigliani… In old times these masters were not famous and lived in poverty. That’s why the owner of cabaret often served them for free. Interesting fact: Picasso gifted his painting “Au Lapin Agile” to the favourite cabaret. In 1912 it was sold for 20 dollars. And… 1989 this painting was auctioned for 41 million dollars! Who knew that unknown poor artist would become a world famous master!
Nowadays, cabaret features singing and poetic performances. A great chance to travel through the time!
Windmill can be considered a symbol of Montmartre. In Middle Ages lots and lots of windmills were located here. However only two original windmills remained: Moulin de la Galette (built in 1622) and Moulin Radet (built in 1717). These windmills are an essential part of Montmartre landscape. They were painted by many famous artists such as Van Gogh and Renoir. Don’t miss an opportunity to take your own pictures with these unique artifacts. Windmills are located on a very vivid street – Rue Lepic. What a pleasure to walk along this street! It keeps the charm of Montmartre and has a lot to tell you.
You will find many fascinating places here. For example Van Gogh was living in house 54 on this street.
Rue Lepic will lead you to the Red Light District. Here legendary Moulin Rouge rules the district every night. Who hasn’t heard about this cabaret? The red windmill of Moulin Rouge is surely one of the symbols of Paris. From 1889 to nowadays Moulin Rouge presents bright and unforgettable performances for guests from all over the world. Beautiful dancers, colorful costumes, festive music…
The non-stop fun and pleasure!
Café des deux Moulins
The best way to end our walking tour is to chill with a drink in a local café. We recommend the highlight of Montmartre – Café des deux Moulins. This café was founded in early 20th century but it became incredibly popular after it was shown in a famous French film “Amelie”. The interior hasn’t been changed since 1950s. Fans of “Amelie” come here to feel the spirit of a favourite film. But even if you are not “Amelie” lover, this café will not leave you indifferent.
Delicious food, tasty coffee and desserts, cozy atmosphere and scenic views. Come here at sunset and kick back with a hot cappuccino or an icy cocktail!
- * The itinerary is subject to change
|Extra costs (per person):||
|Meet up & End location:||lobby of your hotel|
|Start time:||any time|
|Extra hours:||If you are having a good time and want your Montmartre tour in Paris last a little bit longer, you are welcome to do that. Please note: You will be charged 40 USD per an extra hour.|
|Tipping suggestions:||If you feel like you had a good experience, your guide would appreciate a tip. It's not mandatory. It's your decision whether you want to give your guide a tip.|
What you get:
- + A friend in Paris.
- + Private & customized tour.
- + An exciting pastime, not just boring history lessons.
- + An authentic experience of local life.
- + Flexibility during the tour: changes can be made at any time to suit individual preferences.
- + Amazing deals for breakfast, lunch, and dinner in the very best cafes & restaurants.
- + A photo session amongst spectacular Paris scenery that can be treasured for a lifetime.
- + An expert advice on what to do, where to go, and how to make the most of your time.
*This Montmartre tour in Paris can be modified to meet your preferences.
- I have booked this tour to expend my horizons a little bit, get to know the city better, find out something new. My private guide was a great company to me. She was charming, amusing, smart and very smiley. I couldn’t stop listening to her stories. By the end of the tour I felt like I am not alone in this city anymore. What was promised in the itinerary became true – I was having a date with Paris itself and so far I was slowly and profoundly falling in love.
Victor S, Germany, Sep 21, 2016
- Dear Friendly local guides, thank you so much for such a mind-blowing experience. A holiday in Paris will not be complete without this tour. We had a local guide who answered all of our questions and helped us way beyond the boundaries of the tour. We were also given a map of the city, in case we ever get lost. Booking this tour was a wonderful idea. Next time we are definitely taking our kids with us, so they can enjoy this experience as much as we did.
Antoni S, Poland, Sep 21, 2016
- There is so much to see in Montmartre. The famous Montmartre windmills, Sacre Coeur, Moulin Rouge and, of course, the Wall of Love. My brother and I enjoyed it greatly. Our private guide was a real catch. He was smart and funny and it’s only because of him that now we know everything about the history and the modern life of the place. Those were the three wonderful hours and we were so glad to spend time with our private guide.
Alexander N, Austria, Sep 21, 2016