Izmailovo Tour in Moscow
Flea Market & Kremlin
Traditional Russian Crafts, Antiques and Souvenirs
The Kremlin in Izmailovo is perhaps the most Russian place in Moscow.
Here you can learn the stories from Russian epics and legends, immerse in an atmosphere of magic and Russian hospitality.
- Excellent choice of souvenirs at the best prices in town
- Taste Russian vodka
- Step back in times for antiques
- Immerse yourself in the unique culture of Russia
- Savour delicacies from different regions of Russia in a traditional restaurant
- Try your hand at Russian crafts
- Be amazed by the Tsars’ palaces and an atmosphere of ancient Russia
at Izmailovo is a large, outdoor shopping market, full of all sorts of Russian souvenirs, crafts, and other interesting things to buy. At this "flea market," you can browse through paintings, rugs from central Asia, and even stop for a bite to eat or drink, where you can taste dishes from different regions of Russia and other former-Soviet nations.
Adjacent to the Vernissage is the Kremlin at Ismailovo. The kremlin, or kreml in Russian, means "fortress," so there are kremlins in many of Russia’s cities, not only the most famous one on Red Square.
Our Izmailovo tour is a unique opportunity to be submerged into an atmosphere that resembles the past and to see the masters of handicraft at work, such as blacksmiths, potters, and woodcarvers. If interested, you can even participate in the production itself!
The Tsars’ palaces
at Izmailovo were built based on drafts and engravings from the 16th and 17th centuries. The white stone towers are decorated with colored tiles in accordance with ancient traditions.
This flea market is a beautiful spot, brimming with boutique stores and majestic houses. Before returning back, treat yourself to a traditional drink – tea or vodka – with homemade pastry and snacks. Make sure you take a peek in the Chocolate Shop – you simply won’t be able to resist the temptation!
Most shops are open only on weekends, until about 5:00pm. Working hours are not always predictable as some stay open longer and others shut down earlier. It is an unforgettable adventure in Izmailovo but you need to catch the magic in time before the shops close.
Ask us for more details!
If you want to feel unity with the beauty and history of the Kremlin in Izmailovo you can ride a horse a horse or pony for children.
It is well known that communication with horses calms and soothes, improves posture, and nurtures kindness and compassion in children. In addition, here you can rent a real horse-drawn carriage for a large company, which will be a memorable adventure
Duration: 30 minutes.
the carriage - from 4000 rub. / 30 min. (group);
saddle horse (pony - on request) - 2500 rub. / 30 min. (for the group)
Fun Facts from our tours:
During the reign of Tsar Alexei Mikhailovich, the area in Izmailovo was the residence of the Romanov royal family. It was in this area where the young Peter I found his small boat, which marked the beginning of the history of the Russian Navy. You can visit the version of his pottery workshop in Kremlin in Izmailovo complex.
Present cultural complex Kremlin in Izmailovo was founded by Alexander Ushakov and Marina Alexeyeva in 2003. The idea of establishing a center of Russian culture came to Alexander Fedorovich came in a dream when he, a descendant of the famous icon painter Simon Ushakov, saw the current Kremlin with its towers, bustling area and a pond, surrounded by children. Day by day, more and more details appeared, and the time has come to present architectural design governor.
Izmailovo played a big role in the history and culture of the country. In 1974 there was an exhibition of contemporary avant-garde artists - an event that marked the beginning of the emergence of modern art. A little later there was formed the famous Izmailovo Vernissage, where started the sale of exhibited paintings, antiques, books, and then the products of traditional Russian crafts.
Kremlin lies on a hill. And Izmailovo Kremlin was also planned to be built on the hills before the Olympics in 1980, but construction was frozen at that time. And so, in 1998, Alexander presented the municipal authorities a wooden tower in the Russian style, and soon signed a project for the construction of the whole complex - a wooden Kremlin.
According to an ancient Russian tradition, before building up a settlement, a temple goes first. Thus, the first building that came to life in Izmaylovo was the church of St. Nicholas of Myra, the patron of crafts and trade.
Surrounded by colorful towers rises the Palace of Russian meal - an architectural fantasy of Simon Ushakov and wooden palace in Kolomenskoye. The palace was decorated ty Izmaylovo’s own masters, its roof is crowned with griffin as a symbol of knowledge and the emblem of the Romanov dynasty.
Cultural complex Kremlin in Izmailovo is a revival of the Russian family traditions.
|Extra costs (per person):||
(150-1500 rub, depending on your preferences)
|Meet up & End location:||lobby of your hotel|
|Start time:||any time|
|Extra hours:||If you are having a good time and want your tour last a little bit longer, you are welcome to do that. Please note: You will be charged 20 USD per extra hour|
|Tipping suggestions:||If you feel like you had a good experience, your guide would appreciate a tip. It's not mandatory. It's your decision whether you want to give your guide a tip.|
What you get:
- + A friend in Moscow
- + Private & customized tour
- + An exciting tour, not just boring history lessons
- + An authentic experience of local life
- + Flexibility during the tour: changes can be made at any time to suit individual preferences
- + Amazing deals for breakfast, lunch, and dinner in the very best cafes & restaurants. Discounts on weekdays (Mon-Fri)
- + A photo session amongst spectacular Moscow scenery that can be treasured for a lifetime
- + Good value for souvenirs, taxis, and hotels
- + Expert advice on what to do, where to go, and how to make the most of your time in Moscow
*This tour can be modified to meet your preferences
- Мы провели 2 часа в компании замечательного гида, узнали много интересного из истории Москвы, ее архитектурных стилей, местного ремесла и зодчества в средние века. Было здорово!
Анна, Екатеринбург, Россия, Jul 06, 2017
- Had a great 2-hour tour with Katya, who was a gem – she was very friendly, very knowledgeable and shared with me so many fascinating stories about local culture. I had a lot of fun and decided to extend the tour and we also covered bohemian Arbat, ancient Kitay Gorod with its beautiful cathedrals and Zamoskvorechye with its medieval architecture and cozy coffee shops. HIGHLY recommended to everyone who wants to have a quality time with an insider.
Anna Meyer, Berlin, Jan 07, 2017
- Alina replied promptly, and our guide Dasha was super professional. They planned our tour in detail including a meal in a not touristy place. What an exceptional and personalized service!
Raul Pento, Barcelona, Spain, Oct 12, 2016
- Our guide went out of her way to make sure we had a great day. A genuine lady with a great personality. Would highly recommend you book Friendly Local Guides if you're in Moscow.
Exen, Parij, Francia, Aug 05, 2016
- Very friendly and informative. Our Moscow guide Vera was happy to assist us with just about everything. She was our translator in restaurants and when shopping, got a very good bargain for us at the flea market, purchased Kremlin and Armory tickets for us in advance and gave us brilliant ideas for things to do after the tour. She was soo good that we booked her for 2 more days. It was like sightseeing with a local friend. Thank you for this authentic experience, Vera and Friendly Local Guides!
Tatiana, Vein, Mar 28, 2016
- Our guide Angelina met us at our river boat, took us to the Flea Market and gave us lots of fun facts about the places, history, people. We had an authentic Russian lunch there and chatted about life in Moscow and Russia. As well as the places, Angelina knew the history, politics and plenty of other things that were very interested in! After the tour she made great suggestions for places we could visit by ourselves and some very local and fun things to do in Moscow. We parted as friends and still keep in touch through Whatsapp. Thumbs up, Friendly Local Guides!
Emma Norton, New Zealand, Jan 06, 2016
- Had a great 2 hrs with Alina. She showed me around the moscow subway, which was difficult to figure out. And she showed me the old subway stations and some highlights of moscow.I should of taken her advice about taxi in moscow though.
Dan C, Canada, Sep 15, 2015
- I went on the Izmaylovo flea market and Kremlim tour with Alina in June. She was a fantastic tour guide - very enthusiastic (even early in the morning!) and knowledgeable about all areas of Moscow, and also friendly and personable, with lots of great suggestions for where else for me to visit once the tour had ended. I would definitely recommend booking a tour with Alina for a personal and insightful tour of Moscow!
Alison Parker,, UK, Jun 30, 2013
- We had such a good time with Alina on both of the tours we did with her (Flea market and Kremlin) She was knowledgeable, prompt and fun to be with.. She even went the extra mile to make sure we were at the right train station and catching the right train at the end of our tour,,,,, thank you Alina
De Luckman, Australia, Mar 05, 2013