One of the most original and kinky photographers in St Petersburg we’ve met.
Meet Andrey Markin, our guest photographer in Saint Petersburg today, and here are…
21 cool photos of St Petersburg from the rooftop
1. Hey Andrey! Tell us a little bit about yourself?
I’m a student in SUT, Saint Petersburg, I study Multichannel Telecommunication Systems there. Right at the moment I’m working on my geolocation startup.
2. How did you come into photography?
Never was a photographer and never even tried to become one. Everything happened when I started exploring the steep places and architecture of the city.
3. How would you describe your style?
4. Why rooftops?
Roof is sort of magic … When you climb on them, you feel completely different feeling than on the ground. All these old attics, rusty roofs, towers … It’s very fascinating.
I’ve never been afraid of heights, i’m a climber. Sometimes it’s really breathtaking, especially when there’s no attic and you just have to climb to the roof :)
5. What is your true inspiration in life and photography? What/Who do you admire?
I am very inspired with city climbing, I admire New York. Two of my favorite instagrams are @heavy_minds и @insighting.
6. Your thoughts when photographing?
I take all the pictures with my iPhone :D I love the city lights when the sky is overcast. The idea is to make a final picture very clear and at the same time a bit intricate.
My favorite picture is the picture with a statue of a lion sewn into the house in St Pete, it was very unusual and beautiful. From that moment I realized I should move on in this direction.
8. I’ve learned the most from…
only my own experience.
9. Which five words would your friends use to describe you?
Carlson, roofer, chimney sweep, instagramer, ruftoper-spb :D
10. What are TOP 3 places you would like to visit in life? Why?
As I mentioned earlier, I love New York to the bone, I want to go there and explore the entire city bit by bit. Second place I will give to Sydney, Tokyo would be the third.
11. What kind of events, activities, places do you attend in St Pete? What was the latest event you visited?
I do not go to any events. The only one I wanted to catch was the worldwide Instamit that took place in St. Petersburg, but I overslept :)
I’ve never attended any master classes, and my opinion is that the true photographer should come to everything himself.
12. What is important for you about rooftopping?
Magnificent views, urban vibe, atmosphere.
13. What is the best rooftop in St Petersburg for city views?
Top city skyline views from the Azimut hotel. Apart from Azimut, it’d be any high point on Nevsky Prospekt.
14. Any fun story from your experience.
Once we were chased by a tenant with an ax who was attacking us on one of the rooftops. Psycho :D
15. In 3 years… What will you do?
Photos of roofs. Keep on being a Roof Ninja :)
16. Why do you like Saint Petersburg?
The city has a soul. Petersburg is actually a grim city … Gloomy sky vents something strange into the air … If you woke up one day and realized that you are “imbued with this spirit” of the city, there’s no way out. It will be with you forever.
17. What is most important for you when travelling?
Good weather. Comfort.
If you are interested in a memorable photo experience in Moscow or Saint Petersburg – here is our photo tour that you can book.
Most Popular Posts
- Fun Facts: 50 facts about Moscow
We enjoy impressing our tourists and always dig deep to find some original, fun, intriguing ...
- 20 fun facts about Edinburgh
Our Moscow tour guide Dasha traveled to the UK on New Year holidays, and here ...
- 50 Facts about Paris
Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame de Paris, Louvre, the smell of coffee and freshly baked croissants ...