Main street of Moscow. One of the oldest historical streets, first mentioned… 900 years ago! Tverskaya is a main artery and heart of Moscow. And, finally, out of curiosity – Tverskaya street is in TOP 10 most expensive streets in the world. It’s always a must-do on all our Moscow tours.
Facts about Tverskaya street in Moscow
- The existence of the street here was mentioned in the chronicles of the XII century. Starting from the fourteenth century, the street was considered the beginning of the road to the city of Tver, after which the street was called.
- Tverskaya takes its start from the Resurection Gates on Manege Square (next to Red Square) and stretches more than a mile to the Triumphal Square. We love squares : )
- Resurrection Gates were built in 1680, demolished in 1931, and in 1996 were rebuilt to commemorate the 850th anniversary of Moscow.
- On the site of the present Manege Square in the 16th century was Moiseevsky monastery for women, later trading rows.
- Manege was laid out in 1817 in honor of the fifth anniversary of the victory over Napoleon. It’s hard to believe buto nly recently Manage was occupied with little residential houses, and nobody could ever think about Okhotnuy Ryad department store and 5 star Four Seasons hotel in Moscow Gallery.
- Manege was originally designed for military exercises. However, over the years Manezh turned more into a place for cultural events, rather than for military and sports. For example, in 1867 a French composer Hector Berlioz performed there and was so hugely popular that he ” just did not know where to go. This was the most powerful, the most tremendous impression that I ever had in my life.
- For some time citizens used to call it Pete street (After St.Petersburg)
- The city has always been vibrant. In old times there were many workshops where travelers could shoe horses or tweak them ammunition.
- For many years Tverskaya Street was locked for night with security at the gates 24/7.
- In addition, to protect the city in case of a raid, Tverskaya street was protected with thick logs. Such a measure was established as early as 1504 under Ivan III, and lasted for more than two centuries, until 1750.
- The city expanded and, at some point, all the forge with the mechanics were placed outside the Garden Ring, and the Holy Monastery was erected.
- Since then Tverskaya street has been popular among Moscow elite. (starting from 17-18 centuries). Boyars occupied Tverskaya street and started an active construction on Tverskaya street, including luxury mansions of Matvey Gagarin, who was then the governor of Siberia.
- In 1770, Tverskaya Street opened its doors to the famous Eliseevskiy deli. Even in the years of Soviet power, it did not lose its fame and popularity.
- In 1790 the architect Domenico Gilardi built the House of English club, which is nowadays the Museum of Revolution with permanent chocolate exhibition in it : )
- For a long time, squares on Tverskaya street were used as a bazaar. On Strastnaya (Holy) square was a brisk trade in fish, vegetables, fruit and hay. Triumphalnaya (Arc) square has been involved in the sale of paving stones.
- In the corner of Bolshoi Gdezdnikovsky alley was located the first movie studio of Russia. It was situated in the first nine-storey structure of Moscow
- The first stagecoaches (1820) and first tram (1872) started their way from Tverskaya street.
- The next innovation was asphalt, which was first laid in 1876 on Tverskaya street. 20 years later first 99 electric lights lit up Tverskaya street.
- By the beginning of 1917 Tverskaya street was a rather narrow street with various crooks. It mainly was occupied with 2-3 storey houses with lawn and quiet gardens in front of the houses.
- In the years of Soviet power, Tverskaya Street began to actively change. In 1935 it was decided to expand and straighten the main street. Some houses were demolished, and the most valuable ones were just moved.
- The most famous “moved” house was Moscow City Council (now the Moscow City Duma) and Savva Storozhevsky farmstead. The moving of the Moscow City Council was prepared four months, and took only 40 minutes – during which time the house weighing 20 tons traveled 13.5 meters. Savvinskaya farmstead moved even further – 50 meters into the yard, with residents in the building, and sewerage, water supply and pipes continuing to work. This elegant building with elements of Baroque and Art Nouveau can be found in the arch of the house №6 on Tverskaya street.
- The basement of the house number 9 on Tverskaya street was covered with red granite basement, which Nazis brought to erect a monument in honor of the capture of Moscow. However, if you know the history, the city has never not been captured.
- Strolling along Tverskaya, do not pass by the legendary Eliseevsky shop, located on Tverskaya 14, in a building dating back to the reign of Empress Catherine II, the late 18th century. Used to be a luxury club for literary and musical events that collected all Moscow elite. In 1898 a Petersburg millionaire – merchant Grigory Eliseev – buys this place and transforms it into a shopping museum with shiny enormous crystal chandeliers, sumptuous moldings and fascinating gilded decor. And, of course, pay a visit to the original Eliseev shop on one of our private tours St Petersburg.
- Perhaps the main attraction of the Tverskaya street is the house number 13, City Hall, or Mayor’s Office. This is a former home of the governor-general of Moscow, Chernyshev, built in 1782. In 1790 the building was purchased with public funds and became the permanent residence of the governors-generals until 1917. During the French occupation (1812) building was severely damaged by fire and vandalism of the officers and soldiers of the French army, who used the doors and window frames for the firing kilns.In 1939, the historic building of the XVIII century was moved by 13.6 meters deep into the quarterThe 2014 reconstruction of the building was estimated at 400 million rubles.The building is designed in red and white, but was originally orange and white. In 1990s gilded coat of arms with the banner of the USSR was dismantled from the front of the building and was replaced with gilded coat of arms of Moscow.
- Stoleshnikov Lane, starting from the monument after Yury Dolgoruky, in front of the City Hall, is a cozy lane in the center of Moscow, the pedestrian zone, the boutiques area. The land of internationally renowned brands: Dior, Louis Vuitton, Chanel, Salvatore Ferragamo, Hermès, and others. Shops and exclusive boutiques started dominating here from the second half of the XIX. In 2007, the consulting company Jones Lang LaSalle recognized Stoleshnikov Lane second most expensive shopping street in the world after the Champs Elysees in Paris.
- Right after Eliseev store goes Pushkin Square, located on the Boulevard Ring (Sadovoe Koltso). At the end of the XVI century the square was called the Holy area associated with the Holy Monastery, founded in 1654. This is where stood Tverskie gates of the White City. In 1720, the gates were demolished. After the arrival of the Soviet power, the Holy monastery was closed and a monument after Pushkin was created.
- Reconstruction of Tverskaya street was completed in 1948, with linden planted along sidewalks.
- Street continues after Pushkin Square and finishes before Triumph Square, where for several centuries Muscovites solemnly greeted the army, returning victorious from the battlefields. Here you can enjoy one of the best performances of classical music in Tchaikovsky Concert Hall.
- Tverskaya Street has turned into the most expensive shopping and entertainment streets not only in Moscow and Russia, but also in the world.
- Fun Fact: the number of pedestrians on Tverksaya street in winter is the same as in summer.
Here is more about Moscow streets.
What is the main street in your city? How old is it?
Most Popular Posts
- 50 Facts about Moscow – all you need to know about Russian Capital
Everybody likes fun facts and we always prepare a ton of them for our Moscow tours ...
- 20 fun facts about Edinburgh
Our Moscow tour guide Dasha traveled to the UK on New Year holidays, and here ...
- 50 Facts about Paris
Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame de Paris, Louvre, the smell of coffee and freshly baked croissants ...