It’s Russia Day today, celebrated on June 12 every year since 1992.
We collected fun facts about Russian culture, Russian traditions, Russian holidays and Russians. Happy reading!
- Russia is the only country in the world washed by 12 seas.
- Lake Baikal in Siberia is the deepest lake in the world.
- The largest swamp in the world is the Russian Great Vasyugan swamp.
- Lake Ladoga is the largest in Europe.
- Ural mountains that divide Russia in the European and Asian parts are the oldest mountains in the world.
- About 600 square kilometers of Altai are covered with more than 800 glaciers.
- The legendary Trans-Siberian route passes through eight time zones in Russia, starting in Moscow and ending in Beijing, China. The length of the route is more than 9000 km.
- The length of the nearest territory between Russia and America, which shares these two continents, is 4 km only.
- Moscow has the largest number of billionaires. If you dream to visit the Russian capital, here are 50 fun facts about Moscow.
- The only fountain with drinking water in Moscow is “Alexander and Natalie” – located on the street Arbat.
- Cities and towns of the “Golden Ring of Russia” are called an outstanding encyclopedia of ancient Russian architecture.
- Russian is the seventh country in the world in terms of population. It is home to about 145 million.
- Russia is considered a European country, but 2/3 of the country is located in Asia.
- Russian forests occupy 60% of the territory of country
- Russia has a border with 18 countries.
- Because of the great length there are 10 time zones in Russia.
- The literacy rate in Russia is almost 99%.
- The Moscow metro is probably the most beautiful in the world. More fun facts about Moscow metro. IF you are into myths here are 7 myths about Moscow metro for you.
- The metro station “Revolution Square” in Moscow is decorated with 76 bronze statues of workers, peasants, soldiers, sailors and other proletarians of the Soviet Union.
- In facing of more than twenty stations of the Moscow metro there are various fossils: nautilus, ammonites and other prehistoric shellfish.
- Ekaterinburg is listed in a Guinness Book of Records as the city with the largest consumption of mayonnaise per capita.
- David Duchovny, Sylvester Stallone, Steven Spielberg, Natalie Portman, Mila Yovovoch, Winona Ryder and Sean Penn have Russian roots. Great-grandmother of actress Whoopi Goldberg came from Odessa.
- Two of the five founders of Hollywood came from Russia. In particular, the founders of «MGM» Goldwyn and Mayer. Mayer spoke English rather badly, having difficulties with reading the script.
- The largest number of visitors in the history of “McDonald’s” was served in 1990 – the first day of this restaurant on the “Pushkin” in Moscow. More than 10 000 visitors!
- Russia is the largest country in the world. Its area covers 17, 1 million square kilometers. More about Russian geography.
- Before the 1917 revolution, Russian family was one of the biggest in the world, 8 children was considered a small number, there were usually 12-14. Currently Russian family has 1-2 children, one of the lowest among all the nationalities of the world.
- The largest population center on the area Russia is not Moscow, but the settlement in the Murmansk region, Siberia. With a population of just above 17 thousand people, it covers an area of 4620 square km, which is 4 times more bigger than Moscow.
- One of the puppies of the Soviet space dog Strelka was named Pushinka – a feather, and was presented by Khrushchev to President Kennedy’s daughter Caroline. Pushinka had a love affair with the Kennedys’ family dog named Charlie, and she gave birth to four puppies, which John Kennedy dubbed pupniks (cross word pup + sputnik).
- Russian cosmonaut Sergei Krikalev spent a total of 803 days in the orbit, which is a world record.
- Every monarch of the Romanov dynasty left to his heir a country than received from his father.
Most Popular Posts
- 50 Facts about Moscow – all you need to know about Russian Capital
Everybody likes fun facts and we always prepare a ton of them for our Moscow tours ...
- 20 Fun Facts about Edinburgh
Our Moscow tour guide Dasha traveled to the UK on New Year holidays, and here ...
- 50 Facts about Paris
Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame de Paris, Louvre, the smell of coffee and freshly baked croissants ...