Paris is a temptation. You want it so much, but can’t help thinking – is it safe?
Very ancient (founded more than 2,000 years ago), with a reputation of being the most romantic city in the world, promoting the most daring ideas of modern art and claiming to be the heart of fine gastronomy. The city which was involved in global terrorist war and which tourists stay away from at the moment.
Does it mean you have to resist your temptation in 2016? We don’t think so! At least, 2 days in Paris a year is a must! Paris is always a good idea, according to Audrey Hepburn. Here are…
15 fun facts about Paris to help you make a decision.
- 30 cities and towns around the world are named “Paris“.
- You can easily cross Paris in a day from the north to the south, from Porte de la Chapelle to Porte d’Orléans. 2 hours, 9km. Why not? Happy walking! No cheating, stay away from all the coffee shops on your way.
- Paris metro is the second busiest in Europe after Moscow. It has 14 lines and 383 stations. The average distance between stations is 560 meters. Great! However, for a tour we recommend Moscow Metro tours: 12 lines, 200 stations, 2-hour tour for 10 most beautiful metro stations in the world.
- Speaking of transportation, Paris is actually the birthplace of public transport. The first route started operating on 18 March 1668, at the initiative of Blaise Pascal.
- The oldest preserved bridge in Paris is 500 years old. At the time of its construction there were 4 bridges in the city, and architects didn’t want to rack their brains and simply called the new bridge “New”. Thus, the oldest bridge in the city nowadays is called “New”.
- The shortest street of Paris is located in 2nd Arrondissement district. Rue des Degrés is only 6 meters long.
- The oldest house is located at 51 Rue de Montmorency, in 3rd Arrondissement district. It was built in 1407.
- Paris has become The Place for filming: 110 movies and 161 short movies. It took 3339 days in total for filming.
- Eiffel tower was the first in the list of the most disappointing tourist attractions. Even famous French writer Guy de Maupassant was one of the ardent haters of the Eiffel tower, believing that it spoils the view of the French capital. However, the writer regularly dined at the restaurant on the first floor of the tower, explaining that it is the only place in Paris where you don’t see this tower.
- Eiffel tower is repainted every 7 years. Three different shades are used to paint the tower. The lower tier is painted in the darkest color, and the top is light. But because of the height it seems that the tower is plain. Eiffel Tower is ironically nicknamed The Iron Lady. If you like fun nicknames, here are our 10 Cities’ Nicknames.
- Eiffel tower is 325 m high and weighs 10,000 tons. It was the tallest construction in Europe before 1967, when Ostankino tower was built in Moscow.
- The first striptease in the world was performed at the famous cabaret Moulin Rouge in Paris in 1983. A girl named Mona got completely naked during the staging of the beauty contest, and was eventually punished by a fine of 100 francs for indecent behavior.
- What to do in Paris? Admire! Our favorite part of Paris is architecture, which is extremely impressive: the rich mix of marble, gold, mosaics, mirrors, paintings and sculptures all around the city.
- What to see in Paris? Paris has 37 bridges, 137 museums and 200 churches, 14 cemeteries and 463 parks and gardens, and about 8,000 cafes with terraces. Every week you can visit one of the 84 cinemas (with total 367 screens) and see one of the 500 movies. 208 Paris theaters offer 70,000 places. Not enough?
- Every year the Paris Opera gives about 350 shows. There is a lot to see in French capital!
Most Popular Posts
- Fun Facts: 50 facts about Moscow
We enjoy impressing our tourists and always dig deep to find some original, fun, intriguing ...
- 20 fun facts about Edinburgh
Our Moscow tour guide Dasha traveled to the UK on New Year holidays, and here ...
- 50 Facts about Paris
Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame de Paris, Louvre, the smell of coffee and freshly baked croissants ...