Layover Tour in Washington DC
Must-See Washington DC
Washington DC is like a giant museum with a myriad of rooms and halls to experience and explore. The city offers a perfect blend of gardens, nature nooks, history, rich culture and amazing architecture coupled with a desire to see it all in one day. So should you!
*The tour can be modified to meet your preferences.
- Laffayette Square
- The White House
- Lincoln Memorial
- Washington Monument
- National Mall
- US Botanical Garden
- US Capitol
- Library of Congress
- 5-hour Washington tour with your friendly local guide;
- Explore the main attraction of the US capital;
- Feel excited while walking through the main political center of the USA;
- See White House and the Capitol where governing of the country is taking place;
- Visit historical Lafayette Square;
- Get impressed with majestic Lincoln Memorial and Washington Monument;
- Enjoy extremely high concentration of museums, monuments and memorials at National Mall;
- Learn interesting facts and secrets about Washington’s past and present;
- Discover a great collection of plants and the biggest greenhouse of USA in Botanical Garden;
- Get to know more about the rich fund of Library of Congress.
Let’s start your Washington tour in the place where every detail is full of history. From 1800 this area has been playing a role of a racing track, zoo, cemetery, market, soldiers’ camp and later the residence of Washington elite. Nowadays Lafayette Square is a picturesque park which delights visitors with its beautiful green alleys, fountains, monumental statues and a row of significant historical buildings.
The White House
You will surely recognize this famous building which is shown at 20$ note. The White House is the official residence of the president of the USA (from the rule of John Adams) and the symbol of the whole country and the American nation. The architecture of neoclassic building is laconic but very elegant. Bring your camera to take memorable photos with fantastic view of White House against the background of bright green grass.
Lincoln Memorial is surely a place you have to see in Washington. Completed in 1922 to commemorate one of the greatest and the wisest presidents of USA, this place will make you feel excited because of its majesty. See a 5.8-m statue of Lincoln, his famous quotes engraved on the walls and wall paintings which symbolize freedom and justice.
A 169-m tall magnificent obelisk made of white marble and dedicated to the 1st president of the USA will surely catch your attention. When it was built in 1884 this construction was the highest in the world. Visitors have an opportunity to go up to the top of the monument by elevator or by overcoming 896 stairs.
National Mall is a 2-mile wide alley with high concentration of important monuments and museums. While walking along it you can learn more about history of the USA and interesting facts about famous political figures. Here you will see Smithsonian Castle (Institute), National Museum of American History, of Natural History, National Gallery of Art, Museum of American Indian, monuments of Martin Luther King and Jefferson, National memorial complex and many other attractions.
US Botanical Garden
How about having some rest in a beautiful green garden in the heart of Washington? We have a brilliant idea – it’s US Botanical Garden. Its territory is not very large but it is full of fascinating things to see: more than 60000 kinds of plants, the Garden of roses, the Garden with butterflies, amphitheatre, beautiful terraces and the biggest complex of greenhouses in the USA with a great collection of plants.
Now you came closer to the symbol of Washington and USA – Capitol. Being a home to US Congress, it became a sign of national politics. The first stone was laid by George Washington in 1793. A few years later this 88-m dignified building rose above the city. Empire styled construction is famous for its impressive cupola. The moment when you see Capitol will exactly become unforgettable for you!
Library of Congress
No doubt you have heard about the Library of Congress. The largest library in the world keeping more than 150 mln items in its funds and meeting almost 2 mln readers annually. Sounds impressive, doesn’t it? It’s a real treasury of books, newspapers, magazines, maps, photos and different records. Even if you are not keen on libraries, this one will surprise you for sure!
- * The itinerary is subject to change
|Extra costs (per person):||
|Meet up & End location:||lobby of your hotel|
|Start time:||any time|
|Extra hours:||If you are having a good time and want your Washington layover tour last a little bit longer, you are welcome to do that. Please note: You will be charged 25 USD per an extra hour.|
|Tipping suggestions:||If you feel like you had a good experience, your guide would appreciate a tip. It's not mandatory. It's your decision whether you want to give your guide a tip.|
What you get:
- + A friend in Washington .
- + Private & customized tour.
- + An exciting pastime, not just boring history lessons.
- + An authentic experience of local life.
- + Flexibility during the tour: changes can be made at any time to suit individual preferences.
- + Amazing deals for breakfast, lunch, and dinner in the very best cafes & restaurants.
- + A photo session amongst spectacular Washington scenery that can be treasured for a lifetime.
- + An expert advice on what to do, where to go, and how to make the most of your time.
*This Washington tour can be modified to meet your preferences.